pardon our dust
It’s infrastructure weekend at the old blogaroo. Many exciting things are happening!
- Migrating the site to a bigger EC2 instance running Centos 8.2, and all the packages that come with that. ✅
- Upgrading to a new version of the blog rendering engine. ✅
- Upgrading to a new version of the blog theme. ✅
- Reconfiguring the web server to SSL/HTTPS. ✅
Occasional outages are possible as various configuration and DNS changes propagate. I will redirect as appropriate. Do me a favor, please: click around, and if anything looks fucked up that a browser refresh doesn’t fix, let me know. (Fucked up in terms of presentation, not what tumbles out of my brain. We know about that and have filed the appropriate tickets.)
Other things coming soon on the development side:
- A proper email signup system, followed by
- Sending out posts by email to those who want them that way
- Some kind of commenting/liking system, but I have to think a lot about how I want this to work, because all the existing systems are both technically and culturally depraved
- Different ways to find archived posts
All this along with more actual content, and at some point, an import of my favorite stuff from previous platforms.
If it seems like I’m bulking this thing up to become a larger part of my communications arsenal, that’s because that’s exactly what I’m doing. I’m going to be pulling away from Facebook in the near future (much more to say about that soon), and this is going to be my only online vehicle. I started with just a blog before social media came along and ended the Enlightenment, and it looks like I’ll finish that way, too.
Fear not. We are bigger than the obstacles before us. Much more to come.